San Diego County welcomes a new era of living with ADU Alliance, your expert partner in transforming backyards into functional and stylish living spaces. From small carriage houses to two-story granny flats, discover the possibilities of backyard ADU in San Diego County. This guide explores the concept, benefits, and expert services offered by ADU Alliance.
- Versatile Living: Explore the versatility of backyard ADU in San Diego County, from small carriage houses to spacious two-story options.
- Expert ADU Services: ADU Alliance offers a range of services, including construction, remodeling, and architectural design.
- Legal ADU Solutions: Ensure your ADU meets all legal requirements, providing both style and peace of mind.
What is ADU?
- An accessory dwelling unit (ADU) is a secondary living space on a residential property. Also known as a granny flat, in-law suite, or backyard cottage, an ADU provides additional living space while maintaining a separate and independent structure. The term ADU stands for Accessory Dwelling Unit, reflecting its role as an additional, self-contained living unit on the same property.
Recent California ADU Legislative ChangesIn January 2023, California enacted AB 2221, AB 916, and SB 897 which contained over a dozen impactful changes for ADU laws in San Diego. Most notably:
- Height Restriction Overrides: The new laws allow homeowners in certain areas to build 2-story detached ADUs subject to maximum height limits such as 18 or 25 feet, depending on location specifics. This enables the construction of ADUs with enough height for a second level.
- Expedited Review: The state mandated a 60-day limit for local agencies to approve or deny ADU permit applications after submittal. This stringent deadline aims to accelerate project approvals.
- Affordability Incentives: The ADU laws in San Diego County standardize an affordable housing density bonus that enables homeowners to build additional market-rate units if they designate some ADUs as income-restricted affordable housing.
Where Are ADUs Allowed in San Diego County?
- You can only build an ADU on a residentially zoned property with an existing single-family home per county zoning regulations. Use this zoning lookup to verify your eligibility by entering your assessor’s parcel number (APN).
- If your property qualifies, you may be able to have up to one detached ADU plus one junior ADU on the lot. A junior ADU (JADU) is a smaller dwelling (maximum 500 sq ft) created within the walls of the primary residence.
- JADUs must include an efficient kitchen, separate entrance, and interior entry to the main home. The owner must reside on-site within either the JADU or primary dwelling.
Building Permit RequirementsYes, you need to obtain a building permit before any kind of ADU construction, as per ADU laws in San Diego County. This crucial process verifies your unit meets important health, safety, zoning, and building code regulations. The County PDS department reviews all ADU permit applications. They ensure your project adheres to regulations around:
- Maximum size
- Height restrictions
- Setback minimums (distance from property lines)
- Utility requirements
- Parking rules
- Complete kitchen
- Bathroom (toilet, sink, shower)
- Sleeping area(s)
- Separate exterior entrance
Potential Other Requirements
- Fire sprinklers
- Parking space(s)
- New utility meters and connections
Utility Service RequirementsYou will likely need independent utility infrastructure for a detached ADU, including:
- Separate water line with a meter
- Independent electrical panel and meter
- Dedicated gas line, if applicable
- Individual sewer/septic access
Backyard ADU In San Diego County: The Perfect Blend of Style and Functionality
Why Choose a Backyard ADU in San Diego County?
- In San Diego County, where the charm of diverse architecture meets the tranquility of nature, backyard ADUs have become a popular choice for homeowners looking to enhance their living spaces. These versatile structures offer a perfect blend of style and functionality. Whether you’re dreaming of a small carriage house, a two-story granny flat, or a modern cottage, the options are endless.
Granny Flats Redefined
- The concept of granny flats has evolved, and ADU Alliance is at the forefront of this transformation. Our expert builders can turn your vision into reality, whether it’s a one-bedroom wonder or a spacious two-story option. Explore the possibilities of detached granny flats or stylish backyard cottages tailored to your unique needs.
In-Law Suites with a View
- Imagine having an in-law suite that seamlessly blends with the backyard scenery. ADU Alliance can make this vision a reality. Our in-law suites are designed to offer both comfort and functionality, adding value to your property.
ADU Alliance Services in San Diego County
- At ADU Alliance, we understand the importance of tailoring our services to meet your unique needs. Our commitment goes beyond construction, encompassing every aspect of ADU development.
The ADU Advantage: Backyard ADU In San Diego CountyWhy should you consider adding an ADU to your property?
- Increased Property Value: The addition of a well-designed ADU not only enhances your living space but also adds significant value to your property.
- Functional Living: Enjoy the convenience of having a detached granny flat or a backyard cottage tailored to your unique needs.
- Legal ADU Solutions: Our team ensures that every ADU adheres to legal requirements, providing you with peace of mind and a seamless living experience.
Crafting the Perfect Backyard ADU in San Diego County
Versatility in Design: From Carriage Houses to Modern Cottages
- The beauty of backyard ADUs lies in their versatility. Whether you’re dreaming of a classic carriage house, a cozy cottage, or a modern granny flat, ADU Alliance can bring your vision to life.
Innovative Granny Flats: More Than Just Extra Space
- Granny flats, often synonymous with ADUs, have evolved into innovative living spaces. From one-bedroom wonders to spacious two-story options, our expert builders ensure each granny flat is designed for both style and functionality.